Saturday, February 5, 2011

How to Write

I know a lot of people who have asked the question, "How does someone write?"

Well, honestly, I've never asked the question myself, because writing has been in my blood for ever since I can remember. Now, I've had so many instances of writer's block I can't even count them - and just because someone can write, doesn't make writing easy. But by the same token, just because you think you can't write, doesn't make writing hard.

I think the people who think they can't write have an easier time at writing than most of us. Because writing isn't something that you do, it's something that just happens. I've found that the people who think they can't write are the best writers of all.

So in case you're wondering how Ashley and I got here, with blossoming stories both written by both of us and separately, don't doubt yourself. We're not that great of writers either - we just love to tell stories. And we didn't plan to start writing; it just sort of happened.

My best advice to you? Don't worry about writing. Just do it. Open your notebook or a word document, and just write. Write whatever comes to mind - the stupid, the silly, the sad. It will be worth it. And don't listen to your inner editor - the little voice inside that tells you what you're writing is not worth the paper it's written on. Better yet, tie him up and lock him in the closet. You are your worst critic, and the sooner you realize that, the better. Your writing has worth; just like you have worth. Everyone has a story that needs to be told. Will you tell yours?

"You can make anything by writing."— C.S. Lewis


-Sky

(Dereck & Bekah Current WC: 24,406.)

2 comments:

  1. Hi girls ~ Thanks for linking up on my blog!

    Great post you wrote here.
    I'm glad to have found out about your new blog, and I'm excited to read through all your recent posts.

    ~ Tarissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post!! So true, too! Thank you for taking the time to write this-especially the part about the inner-critic! Great reminder!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...