Thursday, July 28, 2011

20K and a snippet of the book!

Wow. I have been so busy lately. I don't know if my life has ever been this busy in my entire life. I always said, "Man, I wish that I could be busy, and have stuff to do instead of being bored." Now I say, "Man, I wish that I could be bored, and not have anything to do!" I guess that grass isn't always greener on the other side, eh? Good lesson to learn. 


Despite the fact that I'm busy with work, running around doing different things (voice lessons for me, and some instrument lessons for my sister), Kylie and I are still somehow finding the chance to write with each other. Not as much as usual, for sure. But we are trying to keep a good pace, and write as much as possible. 


Speaking of writing - we've hit our 20K words in Will and Elle. The story is actually going better than either of us originally expected. We're still working on the first summer of the story and we weren't thinking that it would be any longer than 15K, so this is pretty amazing to us. 


I'm gonna share a snippet of our story with you right now. I think you need to realize the relationship that Will and Elle have, as best friends. 
Let me give you a few facts about these two:

  1. They're best friends and have been for almost 14 years. (They are 18).
  2. They're headed to different colleges in the fall. 
  3. Will's brother, and Elle's sister are dating. 


    “Hey Will, look, it’s you!” I point to the cage in front of us. We’ve been at the zoo for the last couple of hours - taking our graduation “trip”. The two of us decided to skip-out on the beach trip that the rest of our class was taking. Maybe it was because we didn’t prefer the fact that most of them went for things that weren’t completely, um, moral. Like drinking and such. And worse things, but good Christian girls don’t speak such things. Or even think them.
    Well, maybe we think them, but we don’t think them out loud. And we don’t ever think about doing them. Ever.
    “What do you mean it’s me?” Will looks at me skeptically.
    “Monkeys.” I point to them. “Maybe they’d accept you to be a part of their monkey habitat.”
    “Oh, very funny.” He looks across the path at the donkey. “And that’s you...”
    I glare at him. “You’ve gotta me kidding me.” I put a hand on my hip and strike a pose. “I am the cutest best friend you’ve ever had.”
    “Sadly you’re the only best friend I’ve ever had.” He puts an arm around my shoulder loosely.
    “And whose fault is that?” I pull away. “I wasn’t the one that came up to you and said, ‘hey,you wanna be friends?’. Cause I would’ve never done that.”

    “Hey! But you’re glad that I did, aren’t you?”
    “Occasionally.”
    “That’s kind of not fair.” He sighs.
    “I was kidding. Sort of.”
    “Sort of?”
    “You know I love you and stuff, Will.”
    “Yeah, well, the feeling’s mutual.”
    Saying ‘I love you and stuff’ is our way of letting each other know that we still do love each other. We just didn’t want to make it awkward, so we added ‘and stuff’ to the end. To this day I still do not know what ‘stuff’ means. I’d kind of be interested to find out someday.
    “Who wants to go to the giraffe exhibit?” Will asks.
    I nod enthusiastically and jump up and down like a little kid. “Me, me! Pick me!”
    He looks at me blandly and scans the area around us. “Anyone else?”
    “Just me, Will! Look at me! I want to go to the giraffes!”
    “Okay, okay. I’ll take you to the giraffes.”
    “Yay!”

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I really like Elle's voice. And congrats on hitting the 20K mark!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...